January 23, 2021

Mystery surrounding Yankees Aroldis Chapman’s coronavirus (New York Post)


Aroldis Chapman doesn’t know exactly when he will be ready to anchor the Yankees’ bullpen, but he has more information on that situation than he does about how he contracted the coronavirus that put him on the COVID-19 injured list to start the season.

Chapman tested negative during the intake process but positive shortly after spring training 2.0 opened.

“I don’t know how or where I contracted the virus,’’ said Chapman, who lost his sense of taste and smell but otherwise wasn’t affected. “I was careful. I was doing what I was supposed to be doing, coming to the stadium and going home.’’

Despite feeling fine, Chapman had to test negative twice before being allowed to rejoin the Yankees, and he was immediately sent to the alternate site in Scranton.

“I feel good and I feel normal,’’ Chapman said Wednesday.

As for a return to a big league mound for the first time in a game that counts since Game 6 of last year’s crushing ALCS loss that ended the Yankees’ season, Chapman said he is making progress.

Aroldis Chapman
Aroldis ChapmanCharles Wenzelberg/New York Post

“[Tuesday] faced hitters for the first time and felt better than expected,’’ Chapman said via…

Read “Mystery surrounding Yankees Aroldis Chapman’s coronavirus” at New York Post