Attentive Braves fans will know not to get their hopes up too much based upon the team’s first early moves. The club got out ahead of the market last year as well, but mostly sat out after making its primary moves. In Alex Anthopoulos’s second year as GM, he has done even more volume right off the bat but hasn’t matched last year’s Josh Donaldson signing in terms of dramatic impact.
- Will Smith: three years, $40MM (includes buyout of $13MM club option)
- Chris Martin: two years, $14MM
- Tyler Flowers: one year, $4MM
- Nick Markakis: one year, $4MM
- Darren O’Day: one year, $2.25MM (includes buyout of $3.5MM club option)
That’s exactly $30MM in 2020 salary — possibly enough to preclude a more significant payroll addition. The Braves are now over $100MM in commitments for the season to come, which is approaching the limits for an organization that has never topped $122MM in Opening Day payroll (or even reached that total in the past two seasons).
So does this mean that the…